At the entrance of the Gorge of Agios Fanourios is situated the homonymous Church, built on the banks of the River to Apollo in the dense vegetation and beneath an impressive rock slope that rises sharply above the Church.
The old fashioned this cavernous Church was renovated before the 1940 unfortunately losing old allure. The oldest mention relative to the area of Agios Fanourios, comes from Turkish document of 1673, just a few years after the capture of Crete by the Ottomans. Then worked in the area, as is natural, water mills. One such stone mill still survives today in a short distance east of Agios Fanourios. In the same Turkish document of 1673 the Venetian fountain, which was located next to the Church of Agios Fanourios. Today from the fountain and survived despite little parts of it without even be distinct for the casual Walker. The Gerola, who had photographed the fountain, we have rescue and inscription that existed in this: Peter 1497.